With the school season on the horizon, I think it’s a great time to talk about every kid’s favourite class… lunch!
While I’d wager a guess that veganism isn’t typically a lifestyle choice chosen by children, vegan parents often love incorporating animal product-free elements into their children’s lunchboxes. Skip the processed stuff this September and adopt any of the following bites into your child’s lunchbox:
· Celery sticks with peanut butter and raisins
· Sliced apples with vegan caramel dip
· Trail mix
· Rice cakes with almond butter and banana
· Any fruit that’s in season
· Bean burrito with vegan cheese
· Chickpea salad
· Pita bread with tomato sauce and vegan cheese melted on top
· Seaweed chips
To make the apple chips…preheat oven to 200 degrees F, thinly slice apples (remove pits but leave the core). On a greased baking sheet lay out the sliced apples and sprinkle with cinnamon and little sugar. Bake for one hour and turn, bake for another hour and turn the oven off. Leave in the oven for one more hour until nicely crisp.